Home News Affiliates Contact
 
 
 
 
 
Seven Steps book cover

Purchase Now

Bedwetting Store Logo
Amazon.com Logo

STEP 1: REVIEW THE BASICS

   
 

Why is it that some children are affected with bedwetting and others are not? Does my child have urologic or psychological reasons for bedwetting? Does the fact that I was a bedwetter have any role in my child’s bedwetting?

Understanding the key factors that do or do not play a role in bedwetting is important for any parent who wants to successfully help their child cure bedwetting. Bedwetting affects as many children as ADHD, yet it is rarely discussed in parenting literature or in social gatherings among parents. Over five million school-aged children wet the bed every night; 90% of these have always wet. This is referred to as primary enuresis. The other 10% of children with bedwetting have had a period of at least 6 months of dryness, referred to as secondary enuresis.

There are many factors that play a role in bedwetting. It is rare that urologic or psychological causes are the primary reason that your child wets. Heredity does play a role, however. If one parent had bedwetting, 44% of their offspring may have bedwetting. This increases to 77% if both parents have a family history of bedwetting.

Other factors may influence bedwetting—such as decreased sleep arousal, food sensitivities, high nighttime urine production, small functional bladder capacity and constipation. This chapter looks at how each of these components affects bedwetting and its effective treatment.

 
 
 
©Copyright 2011